Friday November 28 2014
The Lower Chattahoochee River Valley

The Lower Chattahoochee River Valley

The Lower Chattahoochee River Valley is rife with history, with the earliest documented habitation of 300-600 AD. Over the course of the next 1300 years, the region witnessed numerous, historically significant events. Given this rich history, it comes as no surprise that numerous accounts of paranormal activity have come out of this area.

Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge: Beaufort Inlet: Beaufort, NC

Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge: Beaufort Inlet: Beaufort, NC

The Golden Age of Piracy lasted for 10 short years (1715–1725), but this period’s impact changed world history. The most famous and powerful pirate of this era was Blackbeard, also known as Edward Teach/Thatch and whose flagship was the Queen Anne’s Revenge (QAR). In 1718, the QAR was shipwrecked off the coast of North Carolina and lost for 268 years until Intersal Inc. discovered the wreck site in 1986.

Jarvis-Brown House/Cousin's B&B: Carteret County: Beaufort, NC

Jarvis-Brown House/Cousin's B&B: Carteret County: Beaufort, NC

The Jarvis-Brown House/Cousin’s B&B circa 1820, is located at 305 Turner Street in Beaufort, NC. Two businessmen from New Bern, NC: Moses Jarvis & Silvester Brown commissioned the building of the house in 1820.

Andrew Lee Hatsell House: Carteret County: Beaufort, NC

Andrew Lee Hatsell House: Carteret County: Beaufort, NC

The Andrew Lee Hatsell House was built by James Davis circa 1827 and sits at 117 Orange Street in Beaufort, NC. The house is considered to be of the traditional Beaufort-style with two & one-half stories, an engaged two-story front porch and side-hall plan.

Old Burying Ground: Carteret County: Beaufort, NC

Old Burying Ground: Carteret County: Beaufort, NC

The Old Burying Ground in Beaufort, NC is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of the state's oldest cemeteries. The Old Burying Ground has been given this distinction after the archaeological discovery of the remains of settlers who had been massacred by the Coree and Neusiok Indians in September, 1711.

Hanover House: Clemson University: Pickens County, SC

Hanover House: Clemson University: Pickens County, SC

The historic Hanover House was built for French Huguenot Paul de St. Julien in Berkeley County, South Carolina during the period of 1714-1716. St. Julien’s grandfather, a Huguenot immigrant from Vitre, France was granted 3,000 acres in 1688 by the Lord Proprietors. Hanover House was built on one of the three 1000 acre tracts.

Investigation Date: 
October 31, 2014

The Lower Chattahoochee River Valley lies in the southwestern corner of Georgia near Alabama. In the 1st Millennium, the Valley was inhabited by Mesoamerican Indians who came to the area from the southernmost regions of Mexico by way of boats built out of planks. 

Investigation Date: 
August 16, 2014

The Golden Age of Piracy lasted for 10 short years (1715–1725), but this period’s impact changed world history.  The most famous and powerful pirate of this era was Blackbeard, also known as Edward Teach/Thatch and whose flagship was the Queen Anne’s Revenge (QAR).  In 1718, the QAR was shipwrecked off the coast of North Carolina and lost for 268 years until Intersal Inc. discovered the wreck site in 1986. 

Investigation Date: 
February 8, 2014

The Jarvis-Brown House/Cousin’s B&B circa 1820, is located at 305 Turner Street in Beaufort, NC.  Two businessmen from New Bern, NC, Moses Jarvis & Silvester Brown commissioned the building of the house in 1820.  The architecture of the house is the traditional Beaufort- style with 2 stories and an engaged 2nd story porch that has an open ceiling & boxed posts.  The windows are nine-over-six & four-over-four sash and the interior floor plan was a center-hall design until it was reconfigured.

Investigation Date: 
February 7, 2014

The Andrew Lee Hatsell House was built by James Davis circa 1827 and sits at 117 Orange Street in Beaufort, NC.  The house is considered to be of the traditional Beaufort-style with two & one-half stories, an engaged two-story front porch and side-hall plan.  The eaves are wide-boxed with returns, the siding is plain and the chimneys are single shoulder Flemish-bond gable.  The windows are nine-over-nine, nine-over-six and six-over-six sash and the porch posts are original chamfered posts with round railings.

Investigation Date: 
February 7, 2014

The Old Burying Ground in Beaufort, NC is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of the state's oldest cemeteries.  The Old Burying Ground has been given this distinction after the archaeological discovery of the remains of settlers who had been massacred by the Coree and Neusiok Indians in September, 1711.  The cemetery grew up around the building used for sessions of the Court and for reading the service of the Anglican Church in St. John's Parish and was deeded to the town in 1731 by Nathaniel Taylor, following the first survey.

Investigation Date: 
December 7, 2013

The historic Hanover House was built for French Huguenot Paul de St. Julien in Berkeley County, South Carolina during the period of 1714-1716.  St. Julien’s grandfather, a Huguenot immigrant from Vitre, France was granted 3,000 acres in 1688 by the Lord Proprietors.  Hanover House was built on one of the three 1000 acre tracts.  St.

The Stony Landing House was built on land overlooking the Cooper River which was once part of the 12,000 acre Fairlawn Barony. Fairlawn was granted to Sir Peter Colleton, son of Lords Proprietor John Colleton, on September 7, 1678. The Colleton Family members were loyalists and following the Revolutionary War the Barony was divided with some portions sold to patriots.
The historic Hanover House was built for French Huguenot Paul de St. Julien in Berkeley County, South Carolina during the period of 1714-1716. St. Julien’s grandfather, a Huguenot immigrant from Vitre, France was granted 3,000 acres in 1688 by the Lord Proprietors. Hanover House was built on one of the three 1000 acre tracts.
The Old Burying Ground in Beaufort, NC is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of the state's oldest cemeteries. The Old Burying Ground has been given this distinction after the archaeological discovery of the remains of settlers who had been massacred by the Coree and Neusiok Indians in September, 1711.
Wampee Plantation House sits along the shores of Lake Moultrie in Pinopolis, South Carolina. The Wampee Indians once walked the grounds, and it is from this American Indian tribe that the house gets its name.